Monday, July 12, 2010

Ukraine Adoption - Day 8 (Sumy)

These are the parents of the puppies. I can't help but feed them because I know they don't get enough to eat!
Here's our sweet Masha - she's our interpretor while in Sumy and we adore her. She and I have lots in common, we're finding. She appreciates healthy food, doesn't like orange juice (but like me, loves all other juies), and is detail oriented. She loves these kids as much as we do, and they love her, too. She has been such a help to us, and we are so impressed with her English skills. She translates our legal documents as well as helps us at the grocery store; she's all we need, but more importantly, she's our newest friend.

Dad and Yuri (I guess we can start writing Shaun)
Marina!

Natasha/Ashley

Matt and Dima (also call him "Punya" - it's a shortened version of his last name)

Yuri

We have been very touched by how much the director of the orphanage, Victor (pictured about with Natasha and Yuri), loves the kids, and how well they respond to him, too. They go running up to him when they see him, and we wanted to get a picture of him before we left. He's known these children for a very long time.
So now that the weekend is over we were able to get back to the business of the adoption. We are in the process of being assigned a judge for our case so that Oleg can return to Kiev and get the paper he needs from the SDA to proceed. Oleg has been working tirelessly for us, and is just constantly running around and talking on the phone. The inspector, Valeria, finished our conclusion (I think it's called) today, as well, so we are on track with our plan.
Today we played UNO with the kids for a long time, and were at the orphanage all afternoon. We stop at the market and bring them some sort of treat every day (ice cream bars, chips, etc.). Maybe we should try to be more healthy, but lets be honest... when I was kid I totally wanted an ice cream bar on a hot summer day. And these days are unbearably hot.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow! I can't believe they let dogs on the property. There were plenty of stray dogs in Dnipro but none that I ever saw on the orphanage property.
So...l think your Masha is the same translator the Rast's had. She was a ton of fun! Ask her if she worked for Amy and Jeff Rast and if she say's yes, tell her Wendy and Alex say hello! I'm texting Amy right now to have her check your blog and confirm.
I loved the video. I have forgotten how the language sounds. We played HOURS of UNO. Have you found the kids have their own rules? Different from ours? We always have to clarify if we're playing American rules or Ukraine rules. Even now!
Wishing you a quick court date!
W

Andreas said...

I love how you uploaded video. That adds a new aspect to blogging. Are your kids coming to America getting Marina, Lena and Pasha excited to come too? Your blog is great!

Kathryn said...

I can't believe you are there! I am so excited for you guys. Can we please have a HUGE celebration when you get back? Wow your family is doubling in size in just over 6 months. AWESOME! All of these children are so lucky to have you both. I LOVE the Stockwells. Can't wait to come see you when you get back! xoxo,Kathryn