Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mother's Day highs and lows but mostly highs... and some wonderful time with the Herger's!

On Mother's Day we had wonderful guests for dinner - the Herger clan and also Laura Cannon. I worked for Congressman Herger in Washington, DC for 5 years, and then Laura replaced me in that position when I left. Laura now lives here in Utah and works with me. So the Herger's were in town visiting their daughter, Julie (her husband Wil and daughter, Reagan are all in the picture) and wanted to come by and see us before they left town. What a perfect Mother's Day to share it with them.
I have to also say (while talking about Mother's Day) that I am truly humbled by my family/kids/husband. I didn't know how personal to be in this post, but this whole experience turned out to be so tender and special that I feel okay sharing it. I found out just before Mother's Day that I was about to miscarry our little baby (I was barely pregnant and many people didn't even know, yet). As you can imagine I was heartbroken (and found it a bit ironic that this all happened over Mother's Day weekend). But what began as true sorrow and suffering turned into the most tender and rewarding of experiences as the kids (and sweet Matt) created such a special home and experience for our family. When we told the kids (can't hide crying from them), amazing Kayla vanished to her room for a while, and then all of a sudden our dog, Sadie, came to me with a letter sticking out of her dog-collar. I pulled it out and read the most humbling letter from my sweet daughter. At first I didn't feel much like going to church that day, but with Kayla's letter about how much she loves me and praising my efforts at mothering her and Nate, and with Nate singing in the primary program during church, I had a change of heart, and I'm so grateful that I did. Tears streamed down my face during church as I felt overwhelmed for these 2 little kids that I get to mother - how could I be sad when they love me more than I could have ever imagined. The day ended perfectly with such dear friends over in our home (and my dad, too). I truly felt the love from our Heavenly Father and couldn't deny the blessings that are so abundant in our lives.

7 comments:

April Cobb said...

Wow. Cher, I hoped that you were pregnant by now and am so sorry that it turned out this way. But as I read your post, I cried. I cried at your heartache. And mostly I cried that sweet Kayla loves you so purely and so truly. You are an amazing woman, and they are so lucky to have you as a mother.

Shauri said...

Cher---so sad to hear that. I wanted to ask you the day after lunch how the tests turned out, but when you emailed and didn't mention anything I didn't want to bring it up in case it was tender.
The good news is...you can do it! First take is the hardest from what I hear. Both my sisters miscarried the first time. So...chin up!
And..as you said--how blessed are you to have two kids. Lucky all around!

Robin said...

Hi Cherstyn. Its Robin. I have been thinking about you since I read this post. I hope you are feeling lots of comfort. I am sure this would be a very difficult time. Your daughter is so sweet to write that note for you. I pray that next time is the taker.

Kris said...

Cher...thanks for sharing this tender experience with all of us. I'm glad that you have such a loving and supportive family to help you through. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Kristen said...

Thank you for sharing your post! I love reading your blog and you are an amazing mother (obviously!) Your prayers are with us as well.

Kirkland's said...

Just barely getting to time to read older posts on friends blog. Thanks for posting the Mother's Day post. Your awesome Cher. I loved it. - CK

Steph Wallin said...

Cherstyn,
I'm so sorry to hear that you had a miscarraige. They're pretty nasty. My first one was a miscarraige (remember in D.C.) and then another one a couple of years ago. I'm so happy that you have such a loving and supportive husband and kids- that makes all of the difference! In addition, you have all of us girl friends who have been there and done that before to cheer you on! You have all of the qualities of an awesome mother (in fact, you were sometimes my surrogate mom!) and there is probably a waiting list to join your family. I hope you feel better soon. Much love xoxo