Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Sweet Husband - June 17, 2008

So Matt learned from my DC girlfriends that they were all going to the George Michael Concert in DC this summer, and I was dying to go (George Michael was my 7th grade crush). Matt, romantic schemer that he is, tells me that he needs me to attend a work function with him in San Diego on Tuesday evening, June 17th, so we made the arrangements. We flew out to San Diego and went to Fish Market for dinner (SO good...beautiful restaurant on the water). You'd think I would have caught on that something was up when he took me to dinner (don't evening work functions revolve around a meal?), but I was just along for the ride. Those of you who know me well know that I am a schedule/planner type - so any opportunity to NOT be in charge of a plan is a welcome vacation to me. I didn't even think about why it would be strange that we would go to dinner first before a work event. Anyway, it was so much fun to be jet-setting with my awesome husband and to be overlooking the water on a sunny California evening. We left the restaurant and got back in the car for a bit - maybe 20 minutes or so. Matt suddenly pulls into a Target parking lot (random) and says he wants to change his shirt. Whatever. So he parks and goes to the trunk to get in his suitcase. As I then take the opportunity to primp for a second in the rear-view mirror, I notice in it this gigantic sign flashing GEORGE MICHAEL TONIGHT!!! Turns out that the Target parking lot was right across the street from the San Diego Sports Arena where George was playing. I jump out of the car and run back to Matt jumping and pointing at the flashing sign. Matt, playing it very cool, acts clueless and just keeps putting his shirt on, starring at me blankly. He finally smiles and I throw my arms around him and it was so much fun. The concert was just so-so... don't get me wrong, George has a rich voice and performs live very well. I guess I've just been to such phenomenal concerts that I can't help but compare (Matt and I gave it a 7 out of 10). But it was sooo worth going! I'd always wanted to see him perform live, and my husband making a surprise out of it made the whole thing perfect. Love him!

4 comments:

Erika said...

so jealous that you got to go! what a cool thing matt did...gotta love it when the hubby is creative!
you guys look great by the way.

The Richardsons said...

That is so cute and romantic! What a guy!

Kevin Pratt said...

Cher, doesn't hearing him remind you a little of BYU days, too?! I think about those days every time his songs come on!

April Cobb said...

That is insane!! How fun.